No intro today, I just don’t have the time . Here’s my 5 minute brain dump…
I am one of those people that would always rather do something myself then delegate a job to someone else and risk having it done poorly. It make a lot more work for me and it makes me frustrated at other people, when in reality it is all my fault because I don’t delegate out to others. Some of the jobs that I could delegate but I don’t are:
- laundry (see this post for how I really feel about laundry)
- grocery shopping
- Costco trips
- making meals
- running to the post office
- dropping off dry cleaning
- buying the kid’s clothes
- hosting the monthly friend’s poker party
- providing food at parties
- large family gatherings (I don’t even let people bring the paper plates and napkins because I want a certain kind and I think they might bring the wrong kind)
- returning library books
- taking the dog out to pee (unless I am in bed)
- ordering take-out
- buying movie tickets
- planning a night out with the girls
I could go on and on but I think that you get the point. I have control issues. I want events and dinners and laundry to all be perfect and if I do it alone then I know it will all be done right.
If I don’t start delegating soon my kids will never learn how to do things. I taught them to do laundry when they were 10 but then I never let them do it.
I send my 17 year old to the grocery store only if he needs to get 1 or 2 things that we use often so I know he will get the right thing.
Don’t get me wrong, they have jobs and chores but it is all things like vacuuming, trash, straightening rooms, mowing the lawn, cleaning bathrooms, and unloading the dishwasher. Things that I can go behind them and fix when they aren’t home.
I need to be a better mom and start delegating more.