Did you know that ‘Pigs in a Blanket’ is a traditional part of a Christmas meal in England? Seriously. It is.
Here in the states they are hot dogs wrapped in a croissant type dough. They are often served as part of a child’s lunch, hors d’oeuvres, or for us – during the Super Bowl! Chili Cheese Turkey Dogs are the one thing that all of my friends ask us to bring to pot lucks.
No matter how or when you like to serve them here is a fun and “healthier” version for you to try out and enjoy. We use a couple of small changes to take a long time favorite and put a healthier twist on it.
Easy Chili Cheese Dog Recipe
Time: 30 mins
An easy yet delicious addition for a fun Supper Bowl Sunday. Adults will like them as much as the kids do.
- 1 can Pillsbury Pizza Dough
- Package of turkey hot dogs (8)
- Cheddar string cheese sticks (8)
- 2 tablespoons melted garlic butter
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Open pizza dough and cut into 8 pieces. We cut the pieces horizontally so that we had long skinny pieces.
3. Cut the cheese sticks in half lengthwise.
4. Place 1 turkey dog sandwiched between two halves of a cheese stick on a slice of dough.
5. Roll them all up into the piece of dough leaving only a little sticking out the end.
6. Place the roll ups onto a sheet pan (seam side down) that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
7. Bake 15-18 minutes until the dough is a golden brown color.
8. Immediately after removing them from the oven brush the top with melted garlic butter.
Serve with a cup of chili on the side for dipping. Enjoy!